Everyday stress in common place in our society. But over time this can have a detrimental effect to our health and even shave years off our life. Life is not a constant state of calm and no matter who we are we experience stressful situations throughout our lives in different forms. We can not change that, but we can change how we deal with it.
Just small changes to both our physical and mental habits will make life a little easier.
- Eat foods rich in B Vitamins such as brown rice, beans, oats and salmon. AVOID processed foods that just add toxic and hormonal stress to your system and sugar that causes a spike in your sugar levels and stimulates the release of cortisol
- Eating regular smaller meals helps to regulate blood sugar, keep hunger at bay and stabilise your mood. If you are going through a particularly stressful time then eating some protein with your carbohydrates will slow down the release of sugars even more so and provide additional adrenal support
- If you are going through a particularly stressful time then eat some protein with your carbohydrates will slow down the release of sugars even more so and provide additional adrenal support. AVOID stimulants such as caffeine and alcohol!
- Gentle exercise such as yoga, jogging and walking can relieve stress. However, intense exercise for a prolonged period of time (more than 30-40 minutes) will only cause further stress and fatigue. This is particularly counter productive as stress causes the body to store fat around the waist
- Socialise! Time with friends and family has been shown to decrease stress and even extend life! The Blue Zones proves that enjoying a glass of antioxidant rich red wine or two with good company contributes towards a longer and healthier life. (As long as you can stop at two). Sharing our problems, feeling supported, loved and having a laugh are vital for an enjoyable and stress free life
- We’ve heard it all before but that’s because it works! Herbs have long been used for medicinal purposes, especially to de-stress and aid sleep. Drink teas that contain, valerian root, chamomile or passion flower.
- Make the most of your down time. Lavender essential oil as a bedroom spray or a few drops in the bath with Epsom salts! The magnesium from the Epsom salts is absorbed through the skin relaxing muscles and drawing out toxins.