All processed and un natural foods, if consumed in high quantities or on a regular basis cause our body to draw vitamins and minerals from elsewhere
Have you noticed the increasingly popular use of the word veganism, the media push for ‘meat free Monday’, and the ongoing battle of protein versus carbohydrates?
One minute bacon gives us cancer and the next pork is the key to longevity! Where is this sudden bombardment of controversy around meat coming from?
There are environmental and ethical concerns around the mass production of animal meat and dairy. But I’m here to talk about the nutritional aspect.
A high consumption of meat can create an acidic environment within our bodies. Although our bodies are perfectly capable at regulating their PH levels, if it is consistently and un-naturally burdened with highly acidic foods then it starts to source help from else where. Calcium is drawn from the bones and magnesium from the muscles to help compensate, leaving us vulnerable to conditions such as osteoporosis.
A modern Western diet consists of too much animal products, fried foods, alcohol and processed nonsense that all contribute to high acidity.
All processed and un natural foods, if consumed in high quantities or on a regular basis cause our body to draw vitamins and minerals from elsewhere leaving us open to experience feelings of lethargy, an inability to focus, stress and even premature aging.
The help prevent your body from the onslaught of high acidity:
- Keep meat limited to a few times a week
- Reduce your consumption of animal produce all together as dairy is a source of acidity-try dairy alternatives?
- Nuts, seeds, legumes, some grains and vegetables are all sources of protein and if you eat a wide variety your body will receive complete protein
- Where you can eat organic, grass fed or wild meat that is free from antibiotics, chemicals and hormones that reap havoc with your body both physically and mentally
- Eating wild, local meat (think venison & pheasant this time of year) is much better for you as it is naturally lean, much higher in nutrients and doesn’t have such an environmental impact
- Increase your intake of dark leafy greens. If half your plate at every meal is green then your on to a winner!
- DAILY HABBIT! On rising drink a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon. the simplest and cheapest alkalising trick